2019年3月15日 星期五

Empty Nest


Baby Humming Bird looked us proudly!

The pass month, we had wonderful experiences observing humming bird nesting. It was 2/12.  That morning,  we stood next to our office window talking, Don spotted something on the tree - It was a tiny humming bird nest, which has two unhatched tiny eggs! Next day, one egg hatched.  The other egg hatched in the following day.  Since, checking the status of chicks, and watching babies grow became our daily routing.
I know humming bird drink liquid from flowers, but I didn’t know mommy feeds babies insects.  The pass weeks, we saw mommy bird picked stuff out from nest to keep it clean; we also saw the babies, when they were big enough, raised their tail and shoot out their pooh from the edge of nest – speaking of which, we need to clean our window glass on the first floor.  We saw them starching their tongue out of beak time to time – are they checking the environment?  Week ago, chicks started flapping their wings – although we didn’t see much feather on the wings.  Few days ago, we observed the two babies more activate than before.  Every day, they seem grow so fast.  Sometime, I wonder the little nest could handle to big babies.  They moved around so they could sit comfortably.  At the end of few days before baby take off, they stand on each other practice how to fly.  On the weekend, one of baby stand on the edge practice.  I started worry what if it fall?  Under the tree is out concrete sidewalk! 
It turns out, birds just know what they are doing.  On Monday, when we returned home from work, we found the nest only one baby bird left.  I saw mommy coming back to feed her.
I can’t believe we missed the first fly!!  Luckily, Don was able to take few pictures.  The baby who left the nest stand near by branch.  He looks so proud!  We know, the second one will be leave soon.  Unfortunately, I missed it again.  But I got full report from Don who worked from home that day.
We got so many amazing pictures. I feel so lucky!  I never thought I could witness this in nature setting in my life time. I planned to trim the tree badly.  Now, I need to rethink about it.  Because this tree is the home for the humming bird!    

沒有留言:

張貼留言