2015年3月25日 星期三

God Bless You


Someone said that to me today, at Costco parking lot. When I left, I realized that it was the first time I received it from someone. It makes me feel.... “special”.

I went a quick run to Costco for a few items after work. When I was loading the grocery, a man who drove a van stopped and called me: Ma’am ..…
He saw he got my attention, continuing: I am from LA. We live in the car. Can you help us?

I looked at him, who is a male African American, and said to him: I don’t have cash with me. I paused – usually, when a homeless person asks for help, I don’t give out money but food instead incase the money is used to buy drink – and looked what I had: a bag of onions, a bag of potatoes, a box of eggs… nothing can be eat right away.

I raised the bag of potatoes and asked: do you want potatoes?
He said: sure.
I pulled about half bag of potatoes and walked to his car.

A quick glance, the car was packed. I saw a woman and four kids sitting in the car. The oldest kid wouldn’t be older than 15. When I handed the potatoes to the man, I noticed his big hands with rough skin on the fingers – they are the labor's hands.

“God Bless You, Ma’am” he sounds appreciated. I simply replied “good luck, you all”.

I watched a documentary few years ago about a family had to live in a car. So, I do not doubt his story. As of this moment I am writing this incident, I wish I had something better then potatoes for them.

I remembered feeling useless when the time I couldn’t find a job. It must be very difficult for parents live like this with their children - They can’t provide a home for the family. How sad!

May God Bless You Too, strangers!

沒有留言:

張貼留言